Travel is always exciting. Traveling internationally as much as possible requires money, planning and a continuous passion for new experiences.
Here’re the main things you’ll need to consider.
- You will need savings to start your travels
- Unless you are already exorbitantly rich, you will need some cash flow while you are away. This could be via reliable investments, temporary jobs (like teaching), or you could
- You will need to minimize your expenditure while you are away. Not just accommodation, but living costs as well. Here’s
Planning & passion
- You’ll need to plan to visit places that are cost effective, with a cheaper cost of living.
- Write down your goals. Why are you traveling – for sightseeing, meeting people or something else?
- If you’re working, where are the best places for you to work?
- Plan for regular breaks. Traveling can be tiring. Excitement usually comes from experiencing different things – be careful not to let traveling become a chore or bore.
- What places excite you, and how long will you stay there for? You don’t need to plan every single detail, just a high-level overview.
- With the people in your life, can you travel indefinitely? Will anyone need aged care soon?
- Are there any life events back home that you simply can’t miss?
- Who will keep your possessions, or still you give/sell it all away?
- Do you have a significant other to think about too? What do they think about all this?
A few months back a user posted a question about traveling that I am an 18-year-old girl and I want to travel solo without money. Should I or should I not?
And my answer was to her that Do not go.
I think that’s the first time I’ve told someone not to travel.
But traveling without money in general puts an enormous burden on the people around you, which isn’t fair. And in particular, traveling alone without money as a young girl…that’s going to put you in situations you don’t want to be in.
Does that mean you shouldn’t travel? No. It means you should work and save up some money and then go on your big trip. You don’t need a lot of money to travel, especially if you are willing to stay in hostels and go to a cheaper part of the world. But you absolutely should not travel without money, especially as a woman and especially as a very young woman.